Sunday, September 11, 2005

SEPTEMBER 11, 2001

This is all I have to say about that:

I was at home on maternity leave that day. Ole was about 3 1/2 months old. Rune woke me about 6:30 in the morning and told me two planes had crashed into the World Trade Center towers. It took me a minute to realize what he said. "On purpose?" I asked. Oh my god.

I turned on the TV and couldn't stop watching ALL DAY LONG. Every time Ole would get a little fussy and restless...I would just shove my boob in his mouth (he was nursing, duh!). That poor kid ate so much that day. I went out for a walk at some point in the afternoon...and it felt weird to me to just carry on with my life, while this was going on in New York.

I remember laying in bed that night and occasionally hearing an airplane in the sky...knowing it was a military jet. It felt very strange. I'm not sure how else to describe it...completely unsettling. It took a long time before I could look up and see a plane flying overhead without thinking about those four jets on that September day four years ago.

No comments: